Monday, January 4, 2010

Ecole Maternelle

Today is a day I've been worrying about and praying about for the last couple of weeks. Today, Lily had her first day of school. She joined a French classroom full of French kids with a French teacher speaking French...all the time. Today she gives up her time at home with me, and an afternoon nap, for six hours at school.

Lily is very social, and she is pretty independent. So, as we've been talking about this day in order to prepare her, she's been nothing but excited about it. In fact, she even says, "Its going to be a little hard at first...but I'll just pay attention to what the other kids are doing, and in a couple of days, it will be fine."

The drop off this morning went pretty smoothly. I was worried I didn't have all the paperwork necessary, but the teacher didn't pay any attention to the forms I had. So that was good. Lily had a little bit of a cry and clinginess about her as I tried to leave. But the teacher swooped in and intervened with perfect timing showing Lily her new seat at the table and giving her something to color. I tried to wave goodbye to her from outside the window, but she was already too busy to notice me.


I picked her up at 11:20 for lunch. One of my biggest worries was that she wouldn't want to go back to school after being home for lunch. So while I was buying clementines at the tiny corner grocery before picking her up, I splurged on a can of whip cream (see, the French aren't THAT sophisticated...but I must admit I was surprised to find it) to use as a bribery tool. But as soon as I saw her, I knew I wouldn't have to bribe her with it--I could just reward her with it.

Lily excitedly ran to me and talked my ear off for the long walk home. She told me about the picture she colored for me. She told me there was a very nice girl "with pig tails, you know, like I wear," who talked to her and played with her on the playground. She told me the teacher read a story about a fox. She was very up beat and happy. Whew!

I made her her favorite lunch...the blue box...macaroni and cheese (thank you Aunt Tina and Gracie). And I told her she could have ice cream too...with whip cream. She kept saying it was a special day for her.

As we walked back to the school, I told her when I picked her up at 4:20 this afternoon, we could have a pastry from the bakery we'd pass on the way home. (Wow, food is a such a motivator in my parenting style...maybe I should watch that???) Back at the school, she ran right to her teacher who gave her a bit of a hug and kiss on the cheek (a huge show of affection from a French person!!!), and I knew she was in good hands. She waved goodbye to me, and this time, I was the one who had to choke back the tears.

I've been praising the Lord all morning for how smoothly everything has gone today...thank you for those of you who have been praying for us.

Funny tidbits that really happened today that reinforce a lot of French stereotypes:

1. While waiting this morning with all the other parents and children for the school to open the gates so the kids could go in, I was amazed, amazed, at the number of parents smoking! It was sort of like parent social hour...but in order to be in the cool club, you had to have a cigarette in your mouth!

2. The school is supposed to open at 8:20--someone came to open the gates at 8:35ish...typical!

3. Zachary went along in the stroller this morning. He had his beloved blanket with him (of course). And without me realizing it, it started dragging along the sidewalk. This happens a lot and I didn't think much about it, except for today because it dragged right through a huge pile of French dog poop...which is EVERYWHERE on the sidewalks. He screamed for nearly an hour while it went through the washing machine.

4. And the number of calories Lily is eating in all these "treats" is being accounted for because the walk to school from our house is just a little shy of one mile. And she will make that walk four times a day...I will make it eight times a day..hey, maybe I'll get a pain au chocolat with her this afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. I just can't bare the thought of dropping Kailee off for her first day of school. You are handling it wonderfully! Thank you for posting.

    P.S. Can you email your new address to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a RELIEF. So thrilled to hear the first day went so well!

    ReplyDelete