Saturday, November 27, 2010

Recipe for Homesickness

Get out your violins, I just need a moment of self-indulging, cry-me-a-river, self pity time, ok?

This is usually one of my favorite weeks in the entire year, every year. Three events collide in the same week making for seven days of celebrating, feasting, and cheering. My birthday, Thanksgiving and the Ohio State/Michigan Game all happen in late November. And all my memories of these occasions take me home with family: chocolate cherry birthday cakes, shopping with my sisters, planning and cooking with my Mom, kid tables and adult tables for the Thanksgiving meal, and buckeye necklaces and brats at 11am on Saturday, followed by football parties and tailgating. These things may seem totally trivial, and I know in the long term they are, but they are all the wonderful, fantastic, comfortable traditions I associate with this week in November. And I was here...a long, long way from there... where the family-ing and feasting and footballing continued without me...

My attitude this week was textbook homesickness. I've been moping and feeling pretty sorry for myself. Not only are we far away from our fabulous families, but Phil's not even here. I kept telling myself I could have made it through the week better if he were here with me. But alone, yeah, it's been really tough. Do you want me to tell you how long it's been since I've slept through the night without caring for my rebelling sleeper Zachary? Up every three hours with him...ahhh, it's beyond frustrating. And all through last night Lily was suffering from an ear infection...awesome. Long week...

I had things happening here this week. I wasn't necessarily crying all day in my sweat pants in bed. I had a very nice, quiet birthday pizza date with friends, and we were invited to another friends house for Thanksgiving meal. I tried very hard to express how grateful and appreciative I was for all their efforts. But to say my heart was heavy and my eyes were sad is probably an understatement. It was just a sucky week...and I'm so glad it's coming to an end.

Here are pictures of our lonely Saturday. We had plans, but we cancelled because Lily was so sick...a fitting end to the week. And after an emotional couple of days, I was happy to just wear a hooded sweatshirt, make chicken soup, and snuggle my babies. Next week will be better. It has to be. I mean, the Buckeyes won big, so things are definitely looking up!
(What I love about this picture...Zachary's "B"...yes, this disgusting thing is everywhere he is...and how messy my house looks...or is???)
(Little miss sick-o. She looks much, much better now after her antibiotics. I'm hopeful that tomorrow she'll be back to normal because she is one pathetic patient).

1 comment:

  1. Standing and waiting at my door... You don't even have to knock, and I won't get mad if you ring the bell during nap time!
    But if not.. sending hugs, kisses, and smiles all the way to France for you. Love you so much. You are so brave and so strong, and you should be at my door by now:)

    ReplyDelete