Friday, May 14, 2010

Slow News Week & Building Bridges


To say it's been a slow week could be an understatement. Last week we had friends who we knew from our time in Jacksonville come and visit us. They came with their three boys and it was a busy week of playing, visiting, and English speaking for everyone. And maybe this week just seems very slow in comparison...or maybe the loneliness and quiet are just more difficult to deal with after a week of being around good friends.

And I must not have been the only one feeling bored. On Wednesday when I asked Lily to entertain herself for a half an hour while I was busy, she decided to give herself a haircut. I don't know where the idea came from or why she thought she would be allowed to begin such an endeavor. But she triumphantly reappeared down stairs with wet slicked-back hair and a smile on her face. I didn't really pay that much attention until I saw the clumps of beautiful, blond, wavy hair lying in the bathroom with her preschool scissors on the sink.

Oh my word...my little born-in-Florida-girl gave herself a mullet. Apparently, she could only reach the sides so the back stayed long. The sides were very short...she must have cut off over four inches. I do not have a picture of it. When she saw my reaction she became very embarrassed and wouldn't let me take any pictures.

Two days, an hour's wait, and twenty euros later, she has a new look. And it's very short. The lady had to use the clippers on her neck! Of course she's still adorable--and maybe it's because I think the hair cut makes her look older that I'm not yet a huge fan. But hey, at least it gave us a mission and event for the day!

In better news, I'm not spending the end of my slow week at home alone. Thursday was a holiday in France (Ascension Day), so all the schools and government offices were closed. And because the day happened to be on Thursday, Friday is also a day off. They call it "faire le pont", "make the bridge"--have a long weekend! So, Phil is again off work. And now that the hair drama is over, we'll sip rosé, eat delicious French pastries, and make the best our lonely, but restful life in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment