Friday, April 30, 2010

Should America Institute a VAT? Not If You Like to Eat at Mc Donald's

Consider this a public service announcement. I will try to keep politics out of this diary, but this example is too rich not to discus.

Living in France is expensive. EVERYTHING is more expensive. In fact, here is the very short list of the only, random things I've found thus far to be less expensive here...orchids, eye brow waxing, and wine. That's it.

Now the last time I was in the USA a double cheeseburger from McDonald's was on the "Dollar Menu". Is it still there? I believe it is.

Because here they are billboards everywhere touting the "return" of the double cheeseburger...for 2.50 Euro.


Are you serious, 2.50 Euro??? At today's exchange rates the delicious double cheeseburger becomes $3.31!!! And that's just the burger, no fries or drink included.

Watch out America!!! I'm living in a country with "free" health care and a hefty twenty percent VAT (Value Added Tax) and more rules and regulations than you can imagine. All the talk of becoming more "European" (which somehow everyone equates to being more "cool") makes me want to gag.

Now, if you'll excuse me, this recovering fast food addict must go to the closest drive thru (twenty five minutes away) and spend way too much money to enjoy the simple pleasure of a greasy, salty American classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment