Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Graduated, Sort Of

The eight weeks of language school we paid for have come to an end. And I'm very, very sad. Sad for two reasons. The first is pretty obvious...I'm nowhere close to being fluent or proficient in the language (although I am amazed at how much I've learned in eight weeks...I can *kinda* speak in the past, present, and future tenses). But the second reason I'm slightly depressed this week is because now I'm back to being a very lonely, isolated, stay-at-home Mom in a foreign country. And this realization of has hit me very hard.

The language school was fabulous. The half day schedule for me was ideal. It was like a part time job (except, of course, WE paid money for the time I spent there), in the fact that I could interact with other adults, spend time alone without the kids hanging on me, and engage my brain in a serious and stimulating way. And like a job, I was given positive feedback from other adults about how they appreciated my effort and attitude. All this is addictive for me: a stay-at-home-mom who struggles to be satisfied with my job at home...especially because most days I feel only like the eternal maid, cook and kid referee (ps--you don't have to speak French for that job description!).

I had these feelings in the US as well...and went back to work part time for a little bit after Lily was born. But, in the US, when I wasn't working, I had friends, and playgroups and Bible Studies, a gym, and house we owned with plenty of renovations to make. All these things kept me busy and socially connected to others. Here I don't have any of that. And I think the coming days will be lonely and long...now that I don't spend half the day at the school.

On happy note, during the last week I spent at school Phil and I decided to host a party. We invited the other students in my class over for a "American" dinner. They are all very transient...only staying in France for around eight weeks, but we were a close little group of people for the short time we spent learning together. All seven of them came for the party. We had two Swiss, two Brits, two Japanese, and one Canadian. I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes, green beans, and pumpkin pie. The food was hit, and everyone appreciated the time to relax in a home with a family. We spoke French all night (because the Japanese girls don't speak English), and I think I impressed Phil with all that I was able to communicate.

Here are some pictures from the night.


Misoo, the girl I will miss the most...


I'd like to go back to the school someday. The course is expensive so that's an issue, but more of an issue than the money, is the issue of childcare. I'm so, so, so thankful for my mother-in-law who spent three weeks with us, and then my parents who were here for their Spring Break, so I could attend the school, while they helped with the kids. If anyone wants to live in the beautiful south of France and watch my kids in the mornings, just let me know...I'm always looking for help with the kids...and I'll pay you extra if you'll be my friend. I really need a friend!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your graduation, and on hosting such a multi-national dinner party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah, I love you so much and this makes me sad. Let's get started on that chart we talked about and then August will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete