Thursday, November 5, 2009

Up to Speed...

For starters, I'm not a writer, I'm not very witty, and our life is not that exciting. But, I am starting a blog about our transition to life in France anyway. And if no one reads it, other than my sisters, that's cool. My intention is for the blog to be a journal of some of our family's adventures.

We have been in Hyeres France for two weeks. I'm just to the point of coming up for air after nearly drowning in the Mediterranean Sea of culture shock. Setting up an entire life in a new country is crazy difficult. And what makes it a teensy-weensy bit more difficult is the fact that I don't speak French! Why don't I speak French, and why didn't I think it was really important to speak it before coming here? Good question. I guess I thought I would come over here try and pull off a humbly cute personality, show off my cute children, and snap, people would feel sorry for me, speak in English to me and offer to help in any way possible! BUT, that is not the case. So, after two weeks of blank stares and expressionless faces, I'm regretting my decision not to take French at DLI more than anything.

Here is a short update on where we are. We are living in a vacation rental (furnished house) until December. We need to find more permanent housing, but at the moment we aren't finding much available. Apparently long term leasing isn't very common in South France. The positive accomplishments of the last two weeks. We now have internet. We have a French bank account. Phil has been to the French helicopter squadron for a couple of hours each day, but he doesn't start work officially until the 12th of November. Lily and Zack are doing well. Zack is a big fan of baguettes and eats an entire one himself nearly everyday.

And it truly is beautiful here. If I take the time to look up as I'm stressed out about everything under the sun, I can't help but calm down. There are small mountains all around us, and a castle that we see as we walk to the grocery store. Some day, I'm going to LOVE living here.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could have taken classes at DLI (for French) but it wasn't feasible with the kiddos. :(

    You will gradually grow to love it there! You guys are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog! And I think you are quite witty and an excellent writer. Keep your head up, the hardest part is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, we love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From one writer to another (yes, you count!), you express yourself very well and I'm so glad you're documenting these years!

    I remember when I first landed in Wales and looked around, thinking: What did I get myself into?! I barely even researched the place I was choosing to LIVE! But it totally grew on me, as this place will for you as well. Try to be patient, and keeping looking up at your amazing surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm glad to see you are using this as an outlet... you are all in my thoughts constantly, knowing we could be in japan right now and i could be experiencing the culture shock you are. love you sarah.

    ReplyDelete