Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Grocery Store Friends

The kids and I have just enjoyed a marathon weekend of food and friends. We had a lunch on Saturday with a family from Lily's school. Saturday night I was invited to a dinner at my friend's house--the friend who invites me to all the art museum outings. Sunday we had lunch at friends' house--friends who have adopted the kids and me as a part of their family. Right from there, we left to go to a couple's house for the "gouter" (the French snack in the afternoon). I didn't cook all weekend long! And while I was still lonely for my husband, it was very nice to have fun people to see and places to go, making the weekend pass quickly. And can you believe it, all these people were French...

So, do we know people here? Yes. Are we making friends? Yes. Are beginning to feel embraced by the locals? Yes. And you know what? It wasn't just this past weekend's busy social agenda that confirms all of this...

I passed my "move every three year" test: Running into someone at the grocery store. It's only Tuesday, and this has happened twice already. More importantly, more than just seeing someone I know in the grocery store, these French friends seemed genuinely happy, interested, and went out of their way to acknowledge me.
Two women shopping at a grocery store Stock Photo - 3226650
I love feeling like I belong!

1 comment:

  1. So thankful to hear that things are going well - you guys have really assimilated! I still smile every time I think of your little video of Lily speaking French! We miss you guys so much and still are in hopes that you will land on the Monterey Peninsula sometime again in the future! I finally got my google account up and running again so I can comment on your lovely blog - thanks for all the vicarious French living!! Love to you all from the Stewmans :)

    ReplyDelete