Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bright Copper Kettles


So as I've been living here I've been accumulating a mental list of things that I would like to leave France with in our big move back to the US. Things that are quintessentially French--things that will "mean" so much more coming from this country with a story. Some of things are little--like these bullion cubes that I'm obsessed with here that makes everything delicious--and some of the things are big--like my dream French Provencal farm table. I'm a smart woman, and in order to maintain peace in my marriage, I gently, sweetly, try to verbalize some of the larger wish-list items on the list just so that if I would happen to stumble upon the item, Mr. Buyer's-Regret won't feel ambushed by my excitement and haste and begging for it.

Well as of today, I can scratch one of the "oh man, I'd love to have that from France," items off the list. I went to a consignment store in the area (think Goodwill, but without clothes), one that I frequent every month, and stumbled upon a set of copper pans.

Now, I've been coached here from an American friend, very much in the know with all things cool, about what makes a good-copper pot --the weight of the pot, the width in mm of the pure copper casing, the condition of the interior of the tin. The ones I was holding--35lbs worth of pan between all 6 of them, 3mm copper, and perfect tin lining. Check, check, check. I was most attracted to these because there are 6. All alike, brass handled, hammered copper, and a French-brand stamped on the side of each one. Jackpot!

I don't cook anywhere close to good enough to warrant the need for copper cookware. However, someday, I'd love to have them on display in a future kitchen of ours. They're classic.

The price was good. Not super cheap, but not over the "you must call and ask permission of your husband before you impulsively spend that much money" limit. And then after comparing my purchase to nearly the same set on ebay (except that set only has 5 pans), I'd say I got an outright steal! If someone wanted to buy them I could make double on what I paid! But they're not for sale, although I might still be convincing my husband of this. (He thought I was taking these pictures for Ebay). He's so funny.

Let the search for the table begin...

1 comment:

  1. Joshua would totally approve - he loves cool cookware! Have you tried to use them yet? We so enjoyed your post about Julie - what a blessing! I'm glad that you are keeping a journal of these things - I find that I forget so quickly the lessons and ways that God comes through. It is wonderful to look back on it and have the details (and not just a vague memory!) Sending smiles and love to you and the family!! --the Stewmans

    ReplyDelete