Thursday, February 18, 2010

What Not To Wear--The Playground Edition

I took the kids to the playground by the sea today. It's been coolish and rainy all week, so today's sunshine was a treat for everyone.

I love being able to walk to this happening area...there are restaurants and crepe stands and sandy beach fronts and a giant playground...sounds wonderful, chic and upscale, right? But you should also know there are "pay to jump" trampoline stands, kiddie size go-cart tracks, and right now, there is a traveling "farm" underneath big, white circus-looking tent in one of the parking lots, blaring music from their speakers. The whole scene is kind of Myrtle Beach-esque with a French flair. And it is this area that offers some of the best people watching in town.

Here are pictures I was secretly taking of the "folks" watching their kids at the playground...sorry, some of the pictures aren't the best...I was trying to be discreet...you know, like act like I was taking pictures of my kids and then swinging the camera around to snap the shot of the unsuspecting fashionista. (I would recommend clicking on the pictures so you can make the images bigger).

Are people in the States wearing shorts with tights and boots? Because here it is all the rage. Do not miss this woman's cigarette in her hand. She is classic Toulon if there ever was a candidate.

I think I had a sweat suit like this when I was in fifth grade. Don't miss the hair color. I'm pretty sure it wasn't natural (but neither is mine, so I'm not judging).
Angsty family. Mom wears denim skirt with black tights and boots. Who doesn't own a V-neck shirt with a fake black fur neckline? And don't miss that everything she is wearing is black.
More of a Bohemian look...black leggings and silver shoes...and layers and layers of shawl??? Her daughters are embarrassed because she's one of the only Mom's not wearing knee high boots.
Another classic outfit. Longish sweater that hugs the buttocks with black tights...and black boots, of course. The points this lady would have lost for not wearing any fake fur were given back to her because she is wearing a leather jacket. She passed the animal test with that. Whew, that was close.
Something else I haven't figured out...silver leg warmers that peek out over the tops of the boots??? And you still have to wear the black leggings? The jacket is typical. I'm not sure hers is real leather, so maybe that's why she went with the fake fur "hood".

Denim capri pants, with hose, with black boots. And a fitted jacket. Really? Denim capris?

Clothes are expensive here, so I guess you need to make a statement with them. What did I wear to the playground??? Jeans, a cardigan, and my walking sneakers....classic Sarah. It's just so funny to me because in America I wear cardigans and jeans everywhere to fit in, not be noticed, or draw any attention to myself...but today I stood out more in my outfit than these ladies did in theirs.

3 comments:

  1. That is hysterical!!! It amazes me that people smoke in front of their children but I guess there are Americans that do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind the outfits... did you say "pay to jump trampoline?".... Now THAT is how to lure me to France:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just amazed at all the awesome photos you got to capture the fashion sense...how did you not get busted for taking those pocs? Or do they not care? I enjoyed this! :)

    ReplyDelete