Monday, December 28, 2009

Our First Christmas in France

We decided before arriving in France that we would spend our first Christmas on this side of the ocean this year. We anticipated just being settled into a house with all our stuff--- and not being anxious to go through another huge planning and packing period of upheaval. And I think we made the right call...for this year. But I don't think you can keep me away from the rest of our family for next year!

I'm addicted to the idea of being surrounded by family at Christmas. And, thankfully, Phil's parents came to visit to us. It was wonderful to host our first guests, even though we had finished unpacking literally minutes before they walked through the door. They didn't mind our boxes and trash on the front porch of the house. And to watch Lily and Zachary interact with them is the stuff priceless holiday memories are made of. Cookies were made, stories were read, Barbies were dressed and redressed, diapers were changed and baths were made fun...all the things busy, tired parents don't always have time to do.
Also included in our small family gathering for Christmas was my cousin Erika and her friend, Hannah. So we've had a full, busy house. And I found myself making a quick transition from unpacking and organizing my kitchen to planning meals and cooking for crowds. But all the busyness was just what I needed to keep me from major holiday breakdowns combined with post-moving trauma.

We even hosted a Christmas Eve party for our group of friends. Just like at my Mom's house, we made lots of appetizers and desserts and the adults had fun chatting together while the kids ran around in pre-Christmas craziness.

Christmas morning Lily and Zack awoke to lots of presents...an outdoor playhouse, a riding moose, and a tool bench. I was happily surprised to get a Kindle from Phil---I can now read in France! Phil got a fancy espresso machine.



We also did our best to take Phil's parents on a couple of quick half day trips to little towns we are beginning to love. We visited Aix en Provence, Hyères, Le Castellet, and Cassis.


Things that were very different from other Christmases in the States--

1. The price of EVERYTHING. From the tree (60 Euros--100bucks for a crappy, prickly, tiny, tree), to the lights for the tree (10 Euros--15 bucks for a short strand), toys (everything is still made in China, so its not like its better stuff), and our 7.5 lb turkey (35 Euros---50 bucks, and it didn't taste any better at all!)...but ahhh, the memories are priceless, right!

2. Something sad--No church service. This makes me very sad, because Christmas Eve services are some of my favorite moments inside a church building. But the Protestant churches don't offer a service---friends explained to us that Christmas Eve is such a special family day that there is never any interest or thoughts of a service. I know there were midnight Mass services at the Catholic churches around...but we didn't go.

3. Something happy--We took a mid morning stroll along the Mediterranean. We had beautiful sunshine for Christmas day, so we walked from our house to the water.

4. Something funny--For as much as the French revere their vacations and time off work, I was dumbfounded to hear the trash truck on our street on Christmas night. Phil didn't believe me, but as I ran out our gate pulling our fully over-loaded trash can, he came following and sure enough...there they were...collecting trash on Christmas---too ironic for me. Phil and I got a good laugh out of that sort of service and efficiency from the French---on Christmas. I'm pretty sure in the States that poor lad would have had the day off!


We had a wonderful visit with Grandma Connie and Grandpa Kent. And now that they're headed home, and all our decorations are put away, the fact that our first Christmas in France is history is sort of comforting. We survived...we made wonderful memories with the family that we had here to celebrate with...and the important realities of Christmas--the fact that Jesus came to earth and was born in a lowly stable, with the purpose of living and dying to become our Savior--those realities are worth celebrating where ever I find myself on Christmas. But I'm pretty sure next Christmas you'll find me in Ohio!








No comments:

Post a Comment