Monday, June 14, 2010

"Were You Born in a Barn???"


I can't even tell you how many times I was asked that question by my Dad growing up. He was always referring to my tendency to leave doors or windows open during summer time when the air conditioning was running in the house.

In our house in France, we don't have air conditioning. We have over six sets of French doors and strategically placed windows, like cute little ones up the staircase, which allow for excellent air circulation throughout the house. Screens for windows and doors don't really seems to exist either, so, everyday as all the window and doors are open, the fresh air blows unencumbered through our house and keeps us cool. This way of living--inside, but without barrier to the outside, is one of my favorite things about the house.
The kids run in and out and don't have to worry about closing doors. The terrace out our back doors really does feel like another room in the house. The dog doesn't have to bark to go outside. And the breezes are strong enough to really maintain a comfortable temperature inside the house (I've heard in August this will not necessarily be the case--but we won't be here for August!).

As we begin to near summer and the temperatures get warmer everyday, I am falling in love with the climate. The sun is hot but the air is dry. **Read: My hair is perfectly curly here because there is very little humidity!** And with weather like this, there is no excuse not to hang laundry out after washing it because it takes only minutes to dry.

Yes, Rachel, the problem with everything being so open is bugs, but really, there aren't very many. We shut most of the doors in the evenings and keep the lights low when the mosquitoes start coming around, but sleeping with the windows open at night is my favorite way to sleep--maybe I wasn't "born in a barn", maybe, I was born to live in a French château!

1 comment:

  1. As much as I'm dreading not having air conditioning for my first summer in Provence, I do love having the windows open all the time. Except for the flies. Those big, fat, flies drive me nuts!

    Just saw your review on Taste of Garlic and wanted to pop over and say hi :-)

    ReplyDelete